Professor Peter Hill | Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist

I am a consultant child and adolescent psychiatrist, a medical doctor (not a psychologist) with almost 40 years experience in the psychiatry of the young. I qualified in medicine in 1969 from Cambridge University and St Bartholomew’s Hospital, London and then worked in adult and children’s hospital medicine for several years. I subsequently pursued specialist training firstly in general psychiatry, then in child and adolescent psychiatry at the Maudsley and Great Ormond Street Hospitals...

Read more

What I do…

I see patients under the age of 18 with emotional, behavioural, communication or relationship difficulties. The types of problem I see most frequently are:

  • Problems with attention and/or overactivity, particularly when attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is suspected
  • Obsessive-compulsive disorder
  • Tic disorders and Tourette's syndrome
  • Depression and anxiety
  • Difficulties with social interaction, including autistic spectrum disorders
  • Problems with self-organisation, especially when associated with dyspraxia and/or memory difficulties
  • Children who have received various previous assessments and diagnoses, yet whose problems need clarifying


Referrals and Appointments

To set up an initial appointment, the first thing I need is a sight of a referral letter from your GP or Paediatrician. I need a medical referral for several reasons (see How I Work...). I can’t offer an appointment before seeing the referral letter.

Once I have checked that I am the right person to see your child, my PA Alison will write to you to invite you to ring her and fix a suitable appointment date and time. She will then write to confirm this and provide you with basic information. It usually takes a few weeks before an appointment slot is available as I need to clear two hours for a first assessment. Follow-up appointments can be fixed more promptly as they are usually for 30 minutes.

If you have private health insurance you will probably need to contact them for an authorisation before your appointment.